Playtime can get a little draining
It Might Be a Toy
Going into the drain to unearth their fallen toy things isn’t all that hard. Just follow these steps to get something out of the drain:
Ready to play the plumber?
- Grab adjustable pliers, a bucket and a garden hose.
- Turn off the water shutoff valves — unless you feel like getting poured on.
- Loosen the nut holding the P-trap (the pipe that looks like a “P”) to the sink tailpiece (the pipe coming from the sink).
- Unscrew the nut holding the trap to the drainpipe.
- Pull the P-trap opening down and away from the tailpiece, then pull it away from the drain and out from under the sink.
- Ready for it? Empty the trap into a bucket and grab the toy (and anything else that might be in there).
- After the P-trap is emptied, reassemble the fixture to the tailpiece and drain pipe. Test the connection by filling the sink and letting it drain.
- Toy is lodged in the drain
- A non-organic solid object is stuck
- Tree root has entered the drain